This is my first attempt in making this wonderful dish. I have had the best shawarmas in the Gulf when I visited years ago. The taste of which was never forgotten. I have had yummy shawarmas in my own country(India) too. But personally, I long to have those shawarmas from the Middle East. May be I haven’t tried right places here in India.
My recipe is very easy to make and it would taste just the way I could imagine my favourite shawarma would taste. You’ve got to try this recipe.
If you have no time you can buy readymade ingredients needed here. Having said that, I actually prepared all the required ingredients myself.
So here is my recipe of Chicken Shawarma:
Let’s start with the Pita bread;
All purpose flour/Maida – 3 cups
Yeast – 3 tsp
Warm Water – 1 cup
Salt – 1 tsp or as per taste
Sugar – 1 tsp
Olive oil – 1 tsp or more
2. Add half cup Maida initially (all purpose flour) and whisk it nicely. Let it sit for 2 to 3 minutes till it starts bubbling.
3. Add salt, sugar, remaining maida podwer and knead it for at least 5 minutes well.
3. Add olive oil to the dough, roll it and close the dough with a lid, Let the dough sit for 2 hours.
4. After 2 hours, add little bit flour and knead it again for 2 minutes.
5. Spread the dough evenly, and make small portion.
6. Take a little bit of dough and start folding it in and make it as roll. You can make as many small rolls you want and let it sit for 30 minutes, cover it with a cloth. I could make only 4 Pita bread.
7. After 30 minutes, Start rolling the dough little thick, roll it just like how you would make flat bread or Roti
8. Heat a tawa and start cooking pita bread on both the sides. Apply little olive oil while cooking or any vegetable oil.
Fresh and soft pita bread is ready for shawarma, you can even have it with hummus (It is a Levantine dip or spread made from cooked, mashed chickpeas or other beans, blended with tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and garlic).
Now let’s see how to make pickled vegetables and chicken fry for shawarma
For Pickled Vegetables
Water – 1/2 cup
Vinegar – 1/2 cup
Salt – 2 tsp
Sugar – 2 tsp
1/2 Cucumber sliced verticality
1/2 Carrot sliced vertically
Pickled Vegetables: Take a pan add water, vinegar, salt, sugar and turn off the stove once it starts boiling.
Take a bowl add cucumber, carrot and pour the vinegar mixture. Close and let it cool down to room temperature and then refrigerate it.
Boneless Chicken – 250 grams
Salt to taste
Black Pepper powder – 1 tsp
Vinegar – 1 Tbsp or juice of half lemon
Chili sauce – 3 Tbsp
Chilli flakes- 1 tsp
Yogurt/Curd – 4 Tbsp
Chicken stock or chicken cube (optional)
Method to marinate and fry the chicken
To marinate the chicken:
To cook the chicken:
Take a wide sauce pan add olive oil, marinated chicken and cook till the marinated chicken becomes completely dry.
Chopped lettuce leaves, jalapeño and you can even add olives
For French fries:
Chop the potatoes lengthwise, wash it, pat dry and deep fry them. Sprinkle crushed black pepper and salt. Keep it aside.
For Garlic sauce:
8 cloves garlic chopped
1 tsp salt
1 cup vegetable oil
Juice of half lemon
1 egg white
In a food processor add garlic minced with salt, now add little lemon juice and little oil alternatively untill it mixes well.
Add egg white, now blend it more and more untill you get the mayonnaise consistency. Serve with chicken or meat and cover and refrigerate remainder.
Lasts about a week refrigerated.
Assembling everything to make a perfect shawarma
Take a pita bread and apply garlic sauce
Place pickled Vegetables
Place French fries
Some iceberg or lettuce leaves
And a small scoop of mayonnaise
And here you go,
So if you liked my recipe don’t forgot give it a thumbs up. Sharing is caring!
Like us on Facebook @ Work Eat Out
Follow us on Pinterest @ Goworkeatout
Follow us on Instagram @Goworkeatout
Be a part of ourfacebook group where you can also share your ideas and creativity @Food, Travel, Art and Technology
Thanks for stopping by. Have a good time